KFC Original Fried Chicken has been in the top post of the most delicious and successful fried chicken recipes for decades. There is really something with those tasty tender and juicy chicken pieces. My taste buds are always going wild every time I eat KFC chicken starting when I was a child until the present.
Because of the popularity of KFC Original Fried Chicken, many recipes claiming to be close to the original are sprouting from all-over the place; some are close while most are not. The main reason behind these recipes are not only the ingredients — the procedure and equipment also need to be the same. For example, KFC uses industrial grade pressure fryers that cannot be found in an average kitchen. While the taste will be there, there might be a difference in texture.
I will say that this recipe is close the the original. However, I used an ordinary deep fryer to cook the chicken drumsticks. The texture will not be the same as the original KFC chicken sold in KFC restaurants, but at least the it taste almost the same.
KFC Original Style Fried Chicken Recipe
- 5 lbs. chicken drumsticks, cleaned
- 9 cups ice cold water
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 3 teaspoons MSG
- 2 teaspoons potato flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered milk (Nido)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground anise
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 to 6 cups cooking oil
- Pour water in a clean small bucket. Add 3 1/2 tablespoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of MSG. Mix well.This will be the brine.
- Soak the chicken drumstick in the brine solution. cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and let the excess liquid drip.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/2 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon MSG, potato flour, milk, garlic salt, onion salt, cardamom, black and white peppers, cloves, paprika, anise, sage, ginger powder, and all-purpose flour. Mix well by using a wire whisk.
- Dredge the chicken drumsticks in the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer. When the oil is hot, deep fry the chicken in 350F for 14 to 16 minutes.
- Serve with KFC Gravy!
Number of servings (yield): 8